Friday, November 14, 2008

OUR THURSDAY



We've both been rather busy these past few days so today we have been trying to catch our breath. I haven't felt like doing much of anything, so needless to say I haven't achieved much!

The past couple of days I have been cooking for an Apero (supper) we had at Centrepoint last night. It was an information night on "What the Banks don't tell you" and it was all rather scary listening to what Herr Kurt Kamber had to say. Greed is a dreadful thing and there sure is a lot of it in this world. Here I was thinking that the Reserve Banks were owned by the Government, but this is certainly not the case in the USA or in Australia!

Roger and I went shopping today at one of five of our local supermarkets. What a happy experience it was. Not only did we manage to get a whole small turkey for 10 euro (about $15 Aussie) but the lady on the check out was quite priceless. We don't shop that much at this supermarket because it is rather expensive compared to Aldi, but the staff are always so polite and friendly.

They have this great system here in Germany for the return of bottles and plastic bottles, also glass yogurt containers. You put them through a special machine which then prints out a docket (say for 1 euro or whatever the bottles come to) which you present at the check out and they take this amount off your shopping account. We did this today, but forgot to give it to the lady at the check out, so I went back and waved my little docket in the air. The lady just laughed and immediately attended to me and gave me my 1 euro 1 cent! We always have a smile on our face when we come away from shopping.

We love living in Schopfheim, needless to say. Sorry, no pictures of us venturing out with our 'Rolls Royce' shopping trolley (in Australia we would call it a Granny trolley, but my goodness, have we got some use out of it).

It's freezing here. I really don't want it to be Winter. It was dark at 4.30pm. Not nice at all. Plus we are being invaded by blow flies (YUK) and we have no idea where they are coming from. We killed about 30 today. Usually we never get flies inside. They must be coming in from the cold as well.



3 comments:

Chris said...

About 30??? Wow! With that many flying around you must be reminded of Australia!! ;-)

Pat said...

We have the same system in all our markets here for returning your bottles and cans. I've forgotten to give them to the cashier numerous times, so I just put them away and pull them out next time I'm in the store!
Signs of winter are really starting to appear here too and darkness comes so early - it just makes me want to hibernate till Spring, but that woulnd't be right would it? We must take on the joy of the Lord, and remember "this is the day that the Lord hath made"...even the cold ones!
Blessings!

Pamela said...

glass yogurt containers? Something I've never seen.