Tuesday, April 27, 2010

BIKE RIDING


Gaynor is on a 'mission'!! I don't think I've mentioned on my blog (for fear of raging jealousy) that Roger and I have planned a cycling tour of the Loire Valley in France. Here's the link if you want to have a peek! May I just say that this adventure has been on the top of our 'bucket list' and it seems unbelievable that it is only just over 3 weeks away. We leave by train for Paris on 22 May and on the 23 May we meet up with Joshua and Jayne (Roger's nephew from Sydney and his wife) and we will travel to Tours together. We are VERY excited, as you can imagine. We have organized a tandem, so I might even be able to get away with less leg action - oops, don't tell Roger!


http://www.cycletours.com/bedbike/france-spain-greece_along-loire_86.php

As you can imagine, one can't just go on a cycling tour without some physical preparation! I have never really enjoyed bike riding. Roger LOVES cycling and almost lives on the bike. What I am getting to is that I am particularly proud of myself at the moment. Yesterday and today I have been on a 10km bike ride and it has felt great. Bottom is a bit sore, but could be worse!! The idea is that I try and do this at least 5 days in the week until we go on the tour. Then I just might pension my bike off!!

Here are some highlights of my bike riding in the last couple of days:

  • Traffic stopped as I crossed the intersection near our home (embarrassing!)
  • Gentle climb going out of town along the Weisse River but nothing I couldn't handle
  • Saying 'Guten Tag' to everyone I passed!
  • The eagles soaring overhead near the golf course
  • Bike path fantastic so no cars to worry me once I got on it
  • Coming home a nice tail wind and slope to help me make it back
  • A very good feeling that I can actually do it all by myself without Rog!!!!!
Sorry, no pictures as I was too busy cycling. Besides, I don't exactly look a million dollars when I get on the bike! A bonus is that this is helping to get rid of my 'winter warmth' in a nice kind of way (plus being very careful what I am eating for a couple of weeks). So far so good.

2 comments:

Pat said...

I'm so proud of you my friend...way to go! I don't bicycle, it hurts my back to much, but it soulds like you've got it all under control.
What a wonderful tour you'll be taking, cherishing every turn of the pedal along the way!
I hope to see some beautiful pictures when you have completed your tour!
Hugs!
Pat

Pamela said...

so blessed.
my husband loves to ride. I just am not built for a bike. perhaps I need one built for me?