Sunday, September 09, 2007

OUR SATURDAY

I really felt we needed to have the day off today. Get away from the house and the computer. After a rather chilly week here, today the sun was shining and the temperature got to around 25C. I suggested to Rog that we cycle over to France and have a look around some of the little villages we haven't been to.

We cycled to the station with our bikes and got the train to Weil am Rhein (about a 1/2 hour journey). Then we cycled across the Rhein (river) to France - maybe 2km's at a push. As you can imagine, many people were out and about - walking, shopping, cycling, driving.

We ended up cycling to Saint Louis, which disappointed me greatly, as we have been to this village many times before. So we returned the way we had come and stopped for lunch at a small pub/restaurant. The French make "flambees". Very thin pastry then covered with cheese, onion, bacon - or anything else you like. I don't really want to say a bit like a pizza, because it isn't really! Anyway, we had one between the two of us. Very delicious. I actually think we could have had one each because of our bike riding and we had worked up an appetite.

Then, being the adventurous person that I am, I suggested we cycle to the next French village, which wasn't that far away. I was hoping there would be a nice little outdoor cafe where we could get coffee and cake. But no such luck, so we did a big circle, ending back in Weil am Rhein, waited for the train and came home. The whole trip took us about 4 hours. So when I got home I was tired but very happy that we had spent part of the day outdoors enjoying the beautiful weather.

And guess what? Yes, we forgot the camera - AGAIN. I think we are going to have to leave it near the front door and not in the draw in which it lives currently! So, no pictures of our little trip on our day off. Maybe next time.

3 comments:

Pat said...

No pictues but a very good word description which will have to suffice! That's a long bike ride -all that standing on your head must make you super-woman!

Joce said...

Yes Mum, you go on about the lovely way that I write, but you know where I think I got the story telling gene from?? You! Love ya stacks <><

Phili said...

"I suggested to Rog that we cycle to France"....!!! You guys are living in a great part of the world!