Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Have I mentioned I love living in Schopfheim ? ? ?




As I left the house this morning to travel by train to Zurich with my friend Amanda (to encourage a lovely friend), I was greeted by our next door neighbour Heinz with a lovely bowl of boysenberries (called bromberen here in Germany). He said that he and Hannalore were up at 6am to go to the Black Forest to pick them. He had already given us 2 frozen containers of them and they are so delicious.

Heinz and Hannalore are the loveliest of neighbours and have given us produce from their garden, give us good advice about things and generally love a chat (in German of course).

We just love this place and the community we live in, even if we do struggle to speak the language. We feel very, very blessed.

Yesterday a friend (from Basel) and I caught the train a couple of stops from Schopfheim and then walked back. It was a glorious day for walking and it wasn't long or strenuous. Then we came back here for lunch.

Today in Zurich Amanda, Amy and I had our packed lunch on the lake. The sun was shining brilliantly and we had to sit in the shade. I can't believe that it is now rather cold and wet. So glad we got to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine. (No pictures of us sunning ourselves I'm sorry!!)





7 comments:

Louisa Claire said...

how lovely. I could do with some fresh boysenberries right about now...making my mouth water. What a blessing a lovely neighbours!!

Pat said...

I don't blame you for loving where you live. I do have a feeling though that where ever you lived people would be drawn to you!
I enjoyed the previous pictures of those precious children, they just bring a smile to your face to see them.
This has been a very busy summer for me, and I look forward to slowing down just a wee bit and doing something just for fun! Maybe a mini vacation. All work and no play can make you dull, right?!!

Leslie said...

Oh I thought they were blackberries for a minute. They look delicious!

Tell me, did you ever live in Brisbane when you were young?

Louisa Claire said...

mmm...good pick up Leslie. Boysenberries. Clearly I got it right the first time...just not the second. whoops!!

Lilly said...

Visiting for WTBAY on your feature day - sounds delicious! My grandfather is German and I have visited often.

Joce said...

He, he... congrats for being featured today Mum! Mmm berries, we're just getting them all in the shops now, so tempting!! xo

Dee said...

They went to the Black Forest to pick them ...... reminds me of "A walk in the Black Forest" song

They look delicious.