Sunday, July 29, 2012

In Rome

My stomach was churning over something terrible when I left for the Airport with Irene at 12.30 on Thursday 26 July.  Poor Irene sure did have to keep me talking to calm me down.  I was thinking (what on earth am I doing.......etc!!).  Well, I did get safely on the plane and all has been well after that.


I had a good flight to Singapore and once off the plane headed straight upstairs for a massage, and it was a beauty (9.30 at night!!).  Did a little shopping of things on my shopping list - small alarm clock, a little makeup.  Time went rather quickly.


Flight from Singapore to Rome was great and I slept like a baby so felt good when I arrived in Rome at 7.25.  Went straight through customs and caught the bus into the Termini (main train station) for 5 euro.  Was able to leave my case at the Hotel and then headed off to say hello to the few 'friends' I have here (shop owners of course!!).  Francoise was able to tell me where I could get a manicure/pedicure from the cutest couple in their 70's who couldn't speak a word of English.  We had lots of fun together.  


I wanted to get a sim card for my phone from Vodaphone.  What fun.  My phone had a restricted code on it and I didn't have a clue what this meant!  Darling Tim was able to tell me what to do.  Ah, the things I have to be learning!!


Did an awful lot of walking around and my feet hurt so much.  Had a lovely shower and rest before heading out to the supermarket to buy dinner.


Carla arrived at the room at midnight.  I had been sleeping a little while.  It is so good to be with her and have her lovely company.  She is such a darling and great to help me with my shopping!!


Saturday morning we had an 'English breakfast' at a Cafe and then headed for Saxon's to do some serious clothes shopping.  I was so pleased to see Erik at Saxon's.  He designs the Edas range of clothes.  He dressed me in all sorts of things, most not suitable for a Nanna who would like to be spending lots of time on the floor with her grandchildren!  I'm just going to have to be one very hot Nanna when I take them to the park, cafe, zoo, etc.  Can't promise any photo's just yet.


After a siesta and late lunch we headed for the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, etc.  Lots of walking, so many tourists and great fun together.  We finished the night on the balcony of our little hotel having our nibbles, salad, red wine and lovely.


Just woken from a really good sleep and getting ready to face another day of sightseeing.  Mustn't mention the heat as I was complaining about the cold in Perth (well it was actually just George and Irene's cold house)!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Gaynor,
so glad your trip is going better than excellent!

Pat said...

Oh this all brings back such fond memories of Rome!Have a gelato for me!