Saturday, August 25, 2012

Reflecting

I am enjoying my time in Basel in every way!  Not only do I feel very much at home here, but because I am so happy and content I have been able to take time to reflect and set some goals for the future.  I promised Christine I would do this when she left for her trip to Canada/US for a couple of weeks.  

It has been good to do some challenging reading (3 books already) and to have chats with close friends about issues that are on my heart, and especially about moving into the future.  I do have rather big decisions to make when I get back to Perth and I need to be in a good place within myself and have a peace about the decisions I make.  Of course calling on my Heavenly Father, as always, is top of the list. What does he want me to do in the days/months/years to come.

Being here has again reinforced to me the wonderful life long friendships Roger and I made in Basel and surrounds and also how much our friends have loved and cared for us.  And of course they continue to do this for me and it is very touching and at times quite emotional just thinking about it.  Again, I feel so blessed that Roger and I had the 4 1/2 years in this area of beautiful Europe and made such happy memories together.  (I am thrilled to bits that 'Men Modelling' is still going at Centrepoint).  

As I walk the streets, catch the trams/trains/buses I often just long to have my family with me to share with them how I feel when I am here.  I just feel different.  I feel like I belong here.  Even though I don't speak the language, it is all very familiar and comforting somehow.  The other amazing thing is that I keep bumping into friends in the streets of Basel!!  But don't worry my beloved family, I will not be coming back here to live.

I think I can count about 7 clocks chiming at any one time from Christine's apartment.  They chime around the clock and on the 1/4 hour!  You do get used to it.  It means I don't always have to look at the bedside clock in the middle of the night!!  Also the clocks chime extra long at 7am!!  It really is time to get up!!  But thinking about it, I don't think they do this on the weekends!!  Of course on Sundays I can hear extra chimes!

Rogers name comes up often in conversations I have with him in my head (or out loud!!), but also with friends.  Laughter and tears are often the order of the day, but in a happy way.  Of course there is sadness that he is not here with me physically, but I can feel his presence and often his advice or chiding over this and that!!  But mostly I know he is so proud of me being here again and doing what I am doing.

I was very spoilt with special gifts on my birthday.  I now have new perscription glasses, vouchers to special baths in the mountains in Scuol when I visit with Christine 9 - 15 September, Ballroom dancing lessons (I've had 2 already - and I get very nervous before I go), and dear Sabine and I spent a wonderful day at the Thermal Baths the day of my birthday, her gift to me.

I have been here 4 weeks now and the time is going so quickly.  I am so pleased I made the decision to come for a couple of months and it is thanks to Christine and her lovely apartment that I have been able to do this.  To be able to stay in the same place for the time I am here, has indeed been a blessing.  I don't think I would have coped with moving around from one friend to the other.

So, no pictures this time.  Jocelyn said you are not leaving comments because you are jealous, so I am being careful!!  I don't want to lose my blogging friends!  Thank you to those of you who have left a little comment.  I love them and I love that you take the time to say hi through my blog.  It really is good to be back blogging again.

   

1 comment:

GaynorB said...

You have a lot of inportant decisions to make, so where better to make them than in a place where you found great happiness, joy, peace and time spent with Roger before his illness.

Enjoy your time with your friends.