Thursday, October 11, 2007

HORRAH FOR HOLIDAYS - HORRAH FOR HOME ! ! !

Apologies to the faithful friends that check my blog regularly. The weeks 17-28 September were rather busy and time was not in my favour!

Roger and I went on holidays to the south of France to a place called Cap d'Agde for 10 days from 29 September. We went with friends Ilona and her 12 year old daughter Sarah. Ilona booked all the holiday, including travel, for us so we thought it was an opportunity too good to miss, plus we could share the costs.

We did have a bit of a stressful start, but that soon past!

Cap d'Agde is a Resort town on the Mediterranean Sea, so it was lovely for us to enjoy some warmer weather, though the sun didn't shine that much in the first week. It was cloudy, but not cool with temperatures around 22-25C each day. But we did not swim until the Sunday before we left, which was a great shame.

France is just beautiful, though the area in which we holidayed is best known for the lovely beaches, not the countryside, which was rather barren.

Our travel there involved 4 trains. We had to go into Paris and then were able to get a fast train from there to a place called Agde. As we didn't arrive at our destination until 10.30pm we had to get a taxi to the place where we were staying.



Just a few photo's to whet your appetite. More to follow soon


















One day we took the bus into Adge which is a small town on one of many Canel's in the area.


















One of the lovely streets in Agde

















Many restaurants have a lunch special. We wanted seafood and decided to order the special of the day (having no idea what we were ordering!!)


















So...... here it is, a big bowl full of about 30 mussels which were slightly flavoured with garlic and some other spice!!

But you should have seen the look on our faces when the waitress brought the dishes to our table! We always seem to be having a good laugh about something.

It could have been worse! It could have been escargot!

8 comments:

Pat said...

I certainly missed you, but I'm glad to read you were having a wonderful time. Not everyone gets to Holiday in the South of France! I will travel on your coat tails and through your pictures...as usual! I think I'll pass on that bowl of mussels though-they just aren't calling my name!!
Welcome home!

Pamela said...

oh... mussels. no way.
glad it was you.
wish I was there, tho.

Gaynor said...

Come on you two - where's your sense of tasting adventure!!!

Angie D said...

Enjoyed your pictures as usual, although I think I'll pass on the mussels too. Blech!

Pat said...

I like Angie's description of mussles....I second the BLECH!

Eliane said...

Welcome home, Gaynor! Very much looking forward to seeing you again!
Missed you!
Eliane

Anonymous said...

Good to have your blog and photos again - you are very good!! I love mussels any way - garlic, BBQ etc. But then I like eating anything pretty much. Went to gym this morning with Claire - she earns stars and I just gain weight - very funny. Reading Rahner and Barth and Elizabeth Johnson at present so keeping busy. Need to finish Uni assigment this weekend but would rather be in south of France on holidays!!

Gaynor said...

Dear Ann,
Okay, mussels will be on the menu when you come over!! Now my dear, you aren't gaining fat (!!) but muscel, which as you would know weighs more than fat. So don't dispaire. Not sure about your reading habits - way out of my league I'm afraid. Trust your weekend isn't too full of Uni assignments. That would make a very boring Ann.
With love, Gaynor xx