Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Happy 30th Wedding Anniversary to us!

Yesterday we celebrated a wonderfully relaxing day of 30 years married. It's quite amazing. Where have those 30 years gone? We have been totally blessed with a happy marriage. Mind you, we've had our moments and I'm sure at times we both would have loved to walk away from the responsibilities we had. We have 3 beautiful children Tim, married to Amy; Jocelyn and Glenda, married to Tom. They all live in Melbourne.
We went by train to Zell, just a few stops from our home in Schopfheim. We found the most delightful garden restaurant and had a delicious lunch together. We walked around Zell for a bit then caught the train home and had a relaxing rest of the day.

How do you survive 30 years of marriage, you may well ask? I can only speak personally for myself, but I always try and remember why I married Roger in the first place. As a Christian I know God led us together and we have always tried to put God first in our lives and looked to him for our daily guidance. We have tried to pray regularly together (you can't pray and argue at the same time!) and we have tried to talk about the different stages in our lives - no children, small children, teenagers, etc. We have tried to adjust our lifestyle and thinking around these stages. Now we are going through the 'empty nest' period which is probably the most difficult for me as I just love being a mother - fussing, talking, spoiling, etc. You know how it is!

My beautiful niece Heidi has just sent us an email to congratulate us and has encouraged us to read "Make Love Stay". When someone has the courage to recommend reading to an old married couple, I think I must sit up and take notice. Thank you Heidi for caring enough to say that even after 30 years, marriage can be even better.

Now Roger has deserted me!! Not really. He has flown to the US for 2 Conferences and will be back in 9 days. I miss him already, but I think the break will do us both the world of good.
 Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Glenda said...

Hi there Mumsy,

I'm glad you were able to go out and celebrate a little. Good on you!

Absence makes the heart grow fonder... so they say!

Lol, G