Sunday, November 19, 2006

ANOTHER BICYCLE ALERT ! ! !

This blog is really for my precious children!

We heard last night that we had been personally invited by Erwin McManus to be his guests at the Conference he was speaking at for New Leaders in Basel. Not a lot of time to get organized, but also not an invitation you would not take up.

SO.......

Woke up bright and early Saturday morning and my darling husband (YOUR DAD) decides it would be best to take our bikes to the Conference (those of us who know him, know how much he likes bike riding).

SO.....

Ride to Schopfheim Bahnof, catch the train, get off at Reihen (stop before Basel), ask directions of dear lady who speaks perfect English. She looks at us AND THE BIKES, gives us good directions and then says "it is a long way up a steep hill!" (Mountain in Aussie terms).

SO.....

We set off and I try and get a "running start"! Yeh right, sure thing. I last 200m, get off the bike and walk.....and walk.....etc. It was about 4km's ALL UP. Asked a very nice policeman (complete with well behaved police dog) for further instructions and you guessed it.....KEEP GOING UP!

SO.....

We begin to strip! Jackets, gloves, scarf, back pack - that's about all really! Yes, I'm still walking and Roger is trying to be so nice, riding sometimes, walking with both bikes sometimes, walking with his bike sometimes, etc. I'm praying "please God may it be just around this bend, I can't go any further". Had to pray it several times! I'm praying "please God, I'm doing this for you, I'm doing this because I love you, please help me not to complain, please help me not to be cross with Roger!!!"

THEN.....

I start to have flashbacks of 16 years ago when we went to Japan for 3 weeks holiday and we hired a tandem bicycle and we started riding up a certain mountain that Roger had visited with his family when he was a young boy BUT in the family car! At that time I said "you're trying to kill me"! Yes..... I was certainly having flashbacks! Heart attack coming up! Nothing of the sort.

We did eventually arrive at Chrischona AND we were greeted by our friendly policeman who we had asked directions from. "So, you made it then!!" It took us 1 hour from the Bahnhof to get there.

Needless to say, after the Conference it didn't take us long to get back down ( ! ! ! ) to the Bahnhof.

Sorry, no photos of the event.

(I'll tell you about the Conference in a different post)

3 comments:

Glenda said...

WHAT A HOOT!!

LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!

HOW OLD ARE YOU?!?!

Glad that you're getting nice and fit and not feeling too sore, as for me, didn't get to the gym today due to the car break-down!

Lots of love,

PS - STILL LAUGHING! xo

27hcram said...

Dear Gaynor,

Thanks for your encouragement during my exam period now. Really need that a lot and appreciate it. Haha...amazing at how much you can cycle...wow...you are great manz..haha... :D Take care my dear sister and hope to visit you one day at Germany.

Hugz from your sis in christ back in Singapore,

Christine ^_^

Joce said...

What a giggle - I did feel sorry for you though - that Dad of mine can be a bit ambitious sometimes ;)
Can't wait to hear how the conference went... maybe on the blower. Had a great chat to Aussie friend on the phone yesterday (guess who?)
CFN B xo xo xo xo