Friday, November 10, 2006

LIVING IN SCHOPFHEIM

You'll never guess what! I was carrying some washing to the clothes line this morning and the most delightful little old man called out "Entschuldigung" (excuse me). My immediate thought was to run to the clothes line!! It turned out he had a little van and was selling "bio" apples, so of course we just had to buy some (even though they looked worse for wear). But, I've just been eating one and they are very, very yummy.

Ah, we just love living here. There is such a community spirit and people really watch out for you and help you in every possible way. It is so very safe here and the crime rate is virtually zero. When we walk down the street people always greet you and have big smiles.

Today the sun is shining brilliantly and it is 9degrees outside! Roger has taken his bike on the train to Basel to catch up with Bernhard and go for their regular Friday run/walk. Then tonight he has Choir Practise. Did I mentioned he has joined a Choir? "English Seminar Choir" which is part of the English Dept. of Basel University with around 30 in the Choir. They are practising hard for 2 Christmas Concerts in December. Roger is loving it and of course is also getting to know new people.

Deutsch was difficult Monday and I was despairing greatly (but then I realized so was everyone else). Last night it was so much fun and mostly in English!! Well, not really, but it is amazing how many English words they use. We were talking about days of the week and activities! Our young English friend James (19) came back to our place for a beer after the lesson. He called me the teacher's pet! Well, why not! I am the oldest in the class. HOMEWORK, HOMEWORK, I MUST DO HOMEWORK!!

It is so lovely to have the house to myself today. I love being at home! I am listening to "Swiss Classics Radio". They play beautiful music. I need my Glenda to dance me around the room!

1 comment:

Glenda said...

Don't depair about your German Mum! I know it must be frustrating, particularly when I'm not there to dance you around the room! What silly girls we are!!