Thursday, April 19, 2007

Chateau de Chenonceau - Loire Valley France

Then on to this beautiful chateau. Fancy seeing 2 magnificent chateau's in one afternoon. This is my favourite chateau so far! What is unique about this chateau? It's built like a bridge over the Cher River - truly stunning in so many ways; lots of intrigue about the son of Francis I, who provided this lovely chateau for his mistress (about 20 years older than him, but beautiful, so they say); the king's wife took the chateau away from the mistress after the king died quite young!! There are 2 glorious gardens surrounding the chateau. The mistresses garden (Diana) and the queen's garden (Catherine Medeci from the famous Medeci family in Italy!).
Makes me want to read the history books. What about you Pat?

The king's wife was a very important player in the Reformation and Wars of Religion in France. The Cher River was a boundary between occupied and liberated French territory during WWII; the bridge-ness of the structure made it strategic.

Can't rave on forever. This will have to do. Sorry folks. Got work to do!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - Geoff and I most impressed.Wonderful gardens as well. Everything looks so green. Thanks for publishing photos - I almost feel I am travelling down the Loire Valley. Geoff is practising his French on me!!

Love from Ann

Pat said...

How beautiful! The wealthy do live well don't they?!
This Chateau reminds me of one I've seen here in the States. There is one in Ashville, North Carolina called Biltmore. It was fashioned after Chateau de Blois in the Loire Valley. Hal and I visited there several years back, maybe I can find a picture or two to post. You can go to www.biltmore.com if you'd like to see it.
You would make a great travel hostess!!

Angie D said...

I really must travel farther than Walmart this year... :)