Monday, April 23, 2007

Monday 23 April

Wanna know what Roger and I got up to today? (I'll tell you anyway!).

We caught the 8.16am train from Schopfheim into Basel SBB where we met our walking group at the top of the escalators! There were 20 of us on the walk today. The walk was for 4 hours from Mumpf to Lauphenburg, but we only did part of the walk as we had 'things to do'. We crossed from Switzerland into Germany via an old covered wooden pedestrian bridge (has to be seen to be believed). This put us at Bad Sackingen and we took time to have a coffee together. Here we met an Irish lady with her 2 year old son (full of beans).

We then caught the train to Basel Badischer, tram into the city and then tram to Louis Grenze. I was a girl on a mission and my darling husband was patiently helping me. My mission - to buy Self Raising Flour in France (not available in Germany or Switzerland!). Back to my story. At the end of the tram stop we took a bus into St Louis (France) then walked to the supermarket where we purchased lots of goodies! Then back on the bus, tram and eventually train home. (If you're counting - 6 Zoll (Border crossings) in all! And I might add, it is the most glorious day here in this part of the world.

So now you might ask "Why the SR Flour?". I am going to make a Lumberjack Cake for my friend Sabine's 'O' Birthday tomorrow!

It's also A.N.Z.A.C. Day on Wednesday, so I'm going to treat some of our friends to Anzac cookies to mark this Australian day of remembering those who gave their lives in WWI.

Off now to do some baking!

7 comments:

Pat said...

OK, I waited a reasonable time to comment, I didn't want to jump the gun again!
First of all, those gardens are what I want in my yard..Ha! How fabulous are those?
That's a lot of traveling in a short period of time...and now your baking a cake? I think you may have to print up a cook book, including lumberjack cake and self-saucing pudding. Its hard to believe that self-rising flour would be hard to find. We're so used to finding anything and everything we want when we go shopping. I think we're spoiled.
God is so good and sometimes we take it all for granted. I see that in the beautiful pictures you post - His lovely creation!

Glenda said...

Hi Mum, I posted for you! And now I'm commenting for you! Have been loving the photos but have been unable to keep up (unlike Pat!). Look beautiful, it might be those photos alone which finally convince Tom that France might be worth seeing! Love you!

Louisa Claire said...

Haven't had a chance to read everything you've posted recently but the pics are AMAZING!!!! How wonderful for you to be seeing all of this and have such great access to these amazing parts of the world. Good on you for enjoying it!!

Gaynor said...

Hi Pat, You can get the recipies on google! The lumberjack cake was a GREAT success! I made everyone guess the ingredients - and I didn't need the SR Flour after all that. Trip to France was good anyway! We love crossing borders!

Glenda - thanks darling for your comment. Glad you like the photo's. You know the frustration I go through trying to get them up on my blog. Loved talking to you on the phone yesterday darling.

Lou - Inspired to come to France?!!

Glenda said...

Hi Gaynor, this is Mary, Darian, Cheryl and Glenda (and Bob the dog). Enjoying reading your blog (and trying to make the oldies check it). Cheryl says she doesn't want to read any gratuitous drivel - you have passed!! (Darien says "this time" lol). We are having fun - Bruce is working!!!
We got rain - praise the Lord was pouring all day and still going for next 10 days. Lots of love from us all.

Gaynor said...

Wow, a comment from all of you. What fun! I was just adding "What I am Reading" to my page. I think I need Glenda's help again though! She's a whizz with blogs. Have fun together. Wish we were visiting for the evening as well. Lol xxxxxx

Pamela said...

Thats the kind of thing I would like to do. Come visit and spend a day doing stuff just like that. sigh