Thursday, April 19, 2007

LOIRE VALLEY, FRANCE

Hope it was worth the wait. Now for the commentary! The 6 pictures below are of Chateau de Chambord (just southeast of Blois on the Loire River). Unique about Chambord: nice "little" hunting lodge for the kings of France, with a few - 365 - chimneys that you can see up close and personal while walking on the rooftop; at the centre of this mammoth chateau is a strangely unique double helix stone stairwell designed by Leonardo de Vinci for his friend, Francis I, the Renaissance King. Roger, Wirt and Keith took one staircase, while Linda, Deborah and Gaynor took the other. Quite amazing.

We travelled about 700 km's from Loerrach to the Loire Valley. The countryside in France is something to behold.

The last 2 pictures are:

The Hotel that we stayed in last Friday night in Auxerre. The loveliest country town and the nicest French people. After a walk around the town we went back to the Hotel, sat outside as it was the most glorious evening and Wirt, Linda, Roger and I played "Cheat"! My goodness we had fun.

The second picture is of Linda, Wirt, Keith, Deborah and myself.

More pictures to come. I can't give them to you all at once!

4 comments:

Pat said...

Truly worth the wait!
I love traveling with you, you go to such beautiful places! That Castle is amazing - how awesome that you actually get to see it up close and personal. You look like you have such a great time - and a real joy for life. What a pleasure you are!

Glenda said...

Love the pictures Mum! For the first time I think Tom might have been slightly interested in actually going to France... perhaps! Time to put up some pictures of my own!

Joce said...

ah, ha! I ziespected az muc(h)! Nope, can't do French, give up ;)
I have been checking in regular-like, but not leaving comments, tut-tut. In fact have been tardy on too many fronts this week... gets me into trouble.
Perhaps we will exchange stories soon... lots of love, Joce xo xo xo xo

Gaynor said...

Pat, you're so easy to please. Yes, life is certainly meant to be enjoyed and we are living it to the full. You can't help it here in Europe - everything is so close.

Glenda, you haven't seen anything yet babe! We'd just love to take you to the Loire Valley, but that will have to wait for your next trip! The French are the most gorgeous people. We loved listening to the little children speak. Beatiful language.

Joce, yes darling, we will talk soon and exchange stories. I see your name popping up on all sorts of blogs (Derek's, Pat's, Phili's). I can almost work out what you're up to!